NOEL WIEN LIBRARY’S AUDITORIUM/CONFERENCE ROOM POLICY & PROCEDURES
The library offers the use of the Auditorium and Conference rooms for public meetings and programs of a non-commercial nature. The following policies govern the use of the rooms and violations of these policies may result in forfeiture of future use privileges.
Note: The library also offers study rooms that accommodate 10 people or less. Please check our website for more information or call the Reference Desk at the Library 459-1046.
Per City of Fairbanks Fire Department
|With Chairs||Without Chairs|
Fire Code requirements put the maximum limit of people in the auditorium at 150 if seated and 225 if no chairs are in the room and in the Conference Room at 30 if seated and 50 if no chairs are in the room. These numbers are based on the Fairbanks City Fire Code and are not up to the discretion of the FNSB library or staff. At no time shall the user group allow occupancy to exceed this number. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in the immediate cancellation or closure of the meeting.
- • All meetings and programs must be open to the public and may not interfere with library operations. Meeting room groups must follow the library’s Patron Conduct policy, available on the library’s webpage. Printed copies are available upon request.
- • Meetings of a personal (birthday parties, weddings, etc.) or commercial (profit is the direct/indirect purpose of the meeting) nature will not be approved
- • No fees may be charged or collected for meeting or program attendance. Groups wishing to collect donations to defray costs associated with their meeting must do so away from the library building and entryways. Direct or indirect sale of any product or service is prohibited, except for sales sponsored by the Library, or the Library Foundation, in which a portion of the proceeds must benefit the library.
- • Groups composed of persons under the age of 18 must be sponsored and directly supervised by responsible adults.
- • The library has equipment which may be used for a fee. While we make every attempt to have equipment available and in good repair, we cannot guarantee its availability.
- • Library staff will set up requested equipment in advance of all meetings, however, they are not available to operate the equipment. If training is needed to operate the equipment, it is the groups responsibility to schedule time for this training prior to their meeting as we generally don’t have adequate staffing to provide training during the evenings or on weekends.
- • Our projection setup uses a standard VGA cord [15 pin D-sub]. Please be aware not all laptops may be compatible with our system. Due to liability issues, library staff are not able to setup personal computers. It is your responsibility to schedule time in advance of your meeting to verify your equipment is compatible with our system. If you do not verify this in advance and request assistance at the time of the meeting, we may not be able to accommodate your request. If we are able to assist, you will be responsible to pay a late setup fee as well as equipment fees if library equipment is used.
Meetings and/or setup may begin at:
8:30 a.m. Monday – Friday
10:00 a.m. Saturday
1:00 p.m. Sunday (Library closed Sundays in June, July, and August).
Rooms will not be available for setup prior to these times.
- • Meetings must end no later than 15 minutes prior to library closing to allow the user time to return furniture to the arrangement posted on the wall, to clean, and to vacate the room before closing. Failure to comply with this requirement may jeopardize future use privileges.
- • Meeting rooms are not available on days when the library is closed.
- • No smoking is allowed in the Library or on the exterior walkways.
- • Auditorium and Conference rooms may be reserved in advance by calling 459-1022.
- • Applications must be completed and received in the Administrative office within 5 days of making the reservation. If application is not received, the room reservation will be cancelled.
- • A reservation does not guarantee application approval. An application must be received and be approved by the Library Director or his representative. You will receive notice of confirmation after approval.
- • Due to high demand of meeting space, meetings requiring multiple days of use are generally not approved. A group may use the meeting rooms once every other month. Groups may only have two meetings booked at any one time. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Director.
- • If a meeting is cancelled, the library must be notified in a timely manner.
- • In the case of an emergency or an unanticipated library need, the library reserves the right to cancel meeting room use or to provide a substitute room if available.
- • A person or group who attempts to schedule meetings under false pretenses using alternate names, etc. to circumvent the reservation rules stated in this section will be prevented from using the library auditorium and conference rooms in the future.
Meeting Room Application:
- • The Auditorium/Conference Rooms Application – Noel Wien Library must be completed and signed by the person(s) accepting responsibility for the room within 5 days of the reservation request. This person must be present to open the room, present during the meeting, guarantee the room will be returned to its original state and notify Administration staff or Reference Librarian prior to departure. All special requests must be checked and the applicant’s signature indicates that all aspects of the policy will be observed.
- • Applications must be approved prior to advertising a meeting.
- • Rooms will be opened according to the time indicated on the application. If setup time is needed, please include that on your application. Meeting rooms will not be available before the scheduled time unless prior arrangements have been made.
- • The responsible person must check in and leave a library card or other identification with the Administrative staff or Reference Librarian for the duration of the meeting.
- • The card or identification will be returned to the user after library staff inspects the room and a checkout form has been completed. The responsible person will be required to review and sign the checkout sheet which verifies the state of the room and equipment. If the room is not clean and returned to the required set-up, if any equipment is missing, or if there are any damages, this information will be noted on the check-out form and costs will be incurred.
- • Reasonable care of the building, furnishings and equipment will be the responsibility of the group using the facility. The cost of any loss/damages to the facility, furnishings or equipment will be the responsibility of the user group.
- • Room doors will be unlocked only for the person who is taking responsibility for the room. That person will be given a checklist of room-use responsibilities. Furniture and equipment may be rearranged to meet group needs, however, at the meeting’s conclusion the room must be returned to the arrangement posted by the door and must be vacated by the meeting’s scheduled end time. Nothing may be affixed to walls or other surfaces without prior approval.
- • Refreshments may be served in meeting rooms. A partial kitchen is available for refreshment set up, and its use must be reserved. Users are responsible for cleanup of the kitchenette and the meeting room.
Occasionally groups ask to extend their meeting beyond the regular library hours. This is an option if security arrangements are made and approved as follows:
- • Groups meeting after library hours must arrange and pay for security from a library-approved security service.
- • The library administrative office must receive a copy of the security contract prior to the meeting start. Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. The meeting room application will not be approved until security arrangements have been confirmed.
- • Security Guard procedures will be provided to the individual responsible for the room, and must be signed upon review, in advance of the meeting.
- • The security guard must be present 15 minutes before the library closes or the meeting must conform to regular library hours and end at that time.
- • Equipment is available at the rate of $25.00 per day for the first item and $10.00 per day for each additional item, when requested in advance.
- • If personal equipment is used, the person who owns or brings the equipment is responsible for their own set-up. If last minute assistance is needed, a $25 fee will apply.
- • Whether using the libraries equipment or personal equipment a pre-scheduled test run is strongly suggested. The purpose of the test run is to make sure the person responsible for setting up or running the equipment both knows how to run the equipment and confirms that any items they are bringing will work with the libraries set up.
- • All fees must be paid 24 hours prior to equipment setup.
- • We may be unable to accommodate equipment requests received less than 24 hours in advance of the meeting. If we are able to provide the equipment, you will incur both the cost for the equipment as well as a $25 fee for last minute set-up/assistance.
- • Failure to return a meeting room or kitchen to its original state will be subject to a $15.00 per room penalty fee.
- • Failure to pay fees associated with equipment or penalties will jeopardize future meeting room use privileges.
- • The person signing for the equipment and room will be responsible for lost or damaged items and/or loss or damages to the facility.
Parking is available in the main lot north of the Library. Parking areas to the east are limited to staff parking. Plug-in outlets are for staff use only. Patrons are not authorized to park in these areas and will be required to move their vehicles.
The grand piano is available for recitals for the normal equipment fee and should be requested when completing a meeting room application. Use of the grand piano must be supervised by the person responsible for reserving the auditorium. The grand piano may not be moved from the stage.
- • The practice piano is available for use (no charge) during regular library hours if no meeting is scheduled in the Conference Room.
- • Reservations can be made for the current day by calling 459-1022 between 8:00 and 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday or by contacting the Circulation desk, 459-1020, after 5:00 pm weekdays and on weekends.
- • A library card or other identification must be left with the Administrative staff or Circulation desk staff while the practice piano is being used.
- • Walk-ins will be accommodated depending on other scheduled reservations.
- • Practice piano sessions are limited to one-hour, but may be extended depending on availability of the room.
- • Use of the conference room for practicing piano is limited to two people at a time.
- • The person using the practice piano is responsible for the room and its contents.